Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pitt and Cuse Expected to Stay for the 27 Months

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto expects Pittsburgh and Syracuse to stay in the Big East for the entire 27 months as explained in this article by Jerry DiPaola of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

Personally I'm not exactly sure if its a great idea for both sides to stick together for the entire 24 months.

For one, is it a great idea for Big East schedule makers to make out a schedule for possibly as many as 14 schools, just for one or maybe two seasons. If the Big East plans on having a 9 game schedule from here on out it possibly makes sense.

Another thing is, is it a good idea to keep two sides together-Big East and Pitt/Cuse- when both sides just may have some ill feeling towards each other. I can just imagine the awkwardness media days and other behind the scene functions like AD and President's meetings will be.

So when could possibly be the year that Pitt and Cuse enter ACC play?

My best guess is that the 2013 Academic year will be the first year for Pitt and Cuse. For one 2012 is way too soon, in my eyes. Yes I see that Texas A&M and possibly Missouri will be in the SEC in 2012. But I just see a lot of problems with schools from the ACC, and Pitt and Cuse postponing and possibly canceling out of conference games. 2014 is just too far away and causes too many problems with 2 and 3 lame duck years in most sports.

I highly doubt Marinatto wants to keep Pitt and Cuse until the 2014 year. And once he gets everything together with the Big East-as far as future alignment is concerned- he'll want to get with Chancellor Paul Nordenberg and work out a deal that suits both parties.

In this day and age money talks. I'm sure Pitt and Cuse will be more than willing to pay 10-15 Million Dollars to get out of the Big East one year early. I'm also very sure that the Big East would be willing to accept an offer in that price range as well.

But hey, what do I know. I could be wrong with my personal observation. I just find it hard to believe that both sides would think it would be a good idea for Pitt and Cuse to be in the Big East for the 2014/15 Academic Year.

* On another note, Chip Brown of Orangebloods is reporting that Missouri is ready to apply to the SEC. Stay tuned as the realignment cycle will speed up. I'm sure the Big XII already has its 10th school on board and my guess is that its still BYU despite the Louisville rumors. And I doubt the Big XII is going to 12. Texas has done a lot of conceding this past month. I think that's all part of a compromise within the league to keep all members happy.

Follow me on Twitter @JoeyNik

No comments:

Post a Comment