Sunday, January 8, 2012

Steelers Defense: Holes Gallore

I normally don't write blogs about the Steelers and its quite simple to why I don't blog about them. Its mostly because there's hundreds of Steeler bloggers out there. But after tonight's game I just have to say my 2 cents.

OK schematically I felt we took the right approach to Tim Tebow and the Broncos passing game. You can't all out blitz him because he'll simply scramble and gain 10-15 yards at a clip. So daring him to throw is obviously going to put pressure on our Cornerbacks to make plays. Tonight both Willie Gay and Ike Taylor failed... miserably.

Games like tonight is the exact reason why I felt that the Steelers should have drafted a shutdown cornerback in last years Draft. And this is the reason why the Steelers will need to draft one in this years Draft. If we don't it will still be the same old same old next season.

But when it came to the Zone Read Option and the more traditional option we failed miserably as well. To defend that style of football you need all of the Options covered. And if they aren't covered Tebow- or any other option QB- is just going to read the DE or LB. If the DE or LB covers the RB, he'll keep the ball, and if the DE or LB commits to the QB he'll hand off or pitch the ball to the RB.

This is practically an offense many of these players saw in High School and College. And I'm just surprised Dick LeBeau didn't have an answer for this offense.

If we can't defend this style of football, I'm afraid of what Cam Newton and the Panthers will do to this defense. Cam Newton is a far better runner and passer than Tebow.

I'm not going to ramble on and on about this. But I have to give credit where its due. Tebow made the plays when he had to tonight. He's going to be a dangerous weapon when he gets more accurate in the future.

I guess its time to enjoy the long off season. It won't be long until the boys in the Black n Gold hit the field again. Until then, enjoy the Penguins and Pirates seasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment