Monday, March 8, 2010

Should Kids Be Forced to Pay to Play

I was sitting back surfing the net and came across an article on PennLive.com. It somewhat brought up some positives on this issue. But I spilled my coffee anyways.

Why in the world should families have to pay to have their kids play for a school funded activity? It absolutely doesn't makes sense to me. Some families simply can't afford to pay for football and other sports.

I simply don't get this one people. I really don't. Just to think that some athletes wouldn't be in college today if it wasn't for an athletic scholarship. And some hose kids wouldn't even have a shot at an scholarship if they wasn't able to afford to pay to play.

Sure most of these kids aren't going to the NFL. But at least they're earning college degree's in the process. Which means they're going to be thriving members in our society.

I understand things are tough, but why not give some of these kids a chance to change the endless struggle of poverty and crime in our poorest neighborhoods.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if insurance costs have anything to do with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point. I'm kind've sure most schools end up in the black when it comes to their pocketbooks. You know more about the financial side of things more than I do. With Boosters paying for equipment, 50/50, ticket fairs ect. If a school was starting to lose money they'd simply raise some prices to end up in the black.

    At the same time the star athletes of any sport are going to be able to play no matter what. Which brings me to this point. Parents that paid will have a legit gripe, when their kid is riding the bence and the star didn't pay a dime.

    ReplyDelete