Monday, November 7, 2011

A Happy Valley No more

I'm sure everyone heard this story so I'm not going to rehash every single detail here. We all know Jerry Sandusky is facing serious sexual assault charges on children.

But I want to ask a few questions regarding the lack of action taken here. Why didn't the Grad Assistant not only go to Joe Paterno but to the police. Hell why didn't Joe Paterno go to the police. Its one thing to report a situation to your superiors but why not follow up if there was a legit police report on this matter. Why didn't the janitor that witnessed this go to the police as well.

I think there was some negligence on the part of JoePa, the janitor, and the Grad Assistant for not going to the authorities.

I'm just also curious if this is only the tip of the iceberg. In many cases such as this one, more allegations come out in the following weeks/months. And with Sandusky being on the Penn State coaching staff from 1977 to 1999 it makes me wonder if there was other cases as early as the late 70's through the 80's. How many other people may be involved in this alleged cover up, and is JoePa himself in on the coverup?

I've seen people throw out the possibility of Penn State being suspended or kicked out of the Big 10, or even Penn State "saving face" and simply leaving the Big 10. Another thing being throw out there is that the NCAA needs to hit Penn State with harsh penalties.

Lets me make this clear, the Big 10 isn't going to boot PSU nor will PSU leave the Big 10 over this. And from every lawyer and media type I've chatted with, each tells me this is a legal matter and the NCAA won't hand down any sanctions.

But PSU needs to "clean house" from its President, to the AD, to every coach on the staff and move on. It'll be a tough transition but the Boosters and BOT needs to do this as soon as the season is over.

I have no idea what kind of effect this story will have on recruiting. I've read a few recruits comments on twitter and this might cause PSU to lose a few recruits they might have otherwise would've added to their class. But I do pose a question for parents of kids that are recruits- would you allow your kid to go to Penn State for a recruiting visit knowing there may be a possibility these very coach's covered up a heinous crime?

All in all this is a much bigger story than just football. I'm hoping no further allegations come out regarding Sandusky's case. Its just sad for football that JoePa will be going out on a major allegation, and its sad for PA in general to watch as this scandal unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment