Monday, May 23, 2011

What We Learned from the Big East Spring Meetings

What an eventful day in Ponte Vedra Beach Florida.(I must admit that I miss Ponte Vedra but that's another story for another day) But man there is so much to talk about and so little time because there could be so much more info to learn about tomorrow.

First order of business is that the Big East plans on waiting until September of 2012 to work on its new TV deal. Which is smart because apparently there are 3 Networks battling to earn the rights to broadcast Big East Football and basketball.

And because of the 3 Networks battling to earn those broadcast rights, the Big East has put Expansion Plans on hold for now. (That news must be devastating for those that wanted the Big East to expand yesterday-figuratively speaking)

I have no idea when we hear about Big East expansion again. I think we'll be hearing from Villanova again by May of 2012. Don't take my word on that, its just a hunch.

So now, what about the BYU chatter last week. I don't know, its looking more and more like BYU is really off the table as they are locking up its schedule for the long term. And I must admit, that its good for them. I hope they-BYU- succeed as an Indy.

I do think its good to wait and hear what the 3 Networks have to say. Each one might have different projections for every school that could be added. Rushing to 12 would be a mistake right now because we'd be stripping ourselves of negotiating power.

Its also looking like the Big East is working on plans for a 17 team Tournament for March or 2013. Its going to be interesting to see how 17 teams are put into brackets. Or does the Big East simply bring in 12 teams. I think we'll hear more info on this down the road.

Jim Calhoun predicted that the Big East could split 4-5 years from now. The only part I don't understand is why wait that long-esp when we're in the middle of a contract-when we could split now, while we are negotiating for a new deal.

I'm sure tomorrow will provide some valuable information for the Big East's future. Hopefully its as interesting as today.

Edit- It also appears that the Football Only's wanted to signed onto ESPN's first offer to prevent further expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment