Thursday, June 2, 2011

So Where Does the Big East Go From Here

I'm just as confused as anybody to whats going on in the Big East Expansion picture. There is one thing I think I know for sure and that is the Big East apparently just does not think highly of the Conference USA schools so commonly mentioned.

Everybody been talking about East Carolina University, Memphis, and University of Central Florida for years. And more recently Southern Methodist and Houston on the message boards and blogs like this one.

What do we see in those schools mentioned or what exactly does the Big East not like about those schools? I kinda just don't get this one to tell y'all the truth.

Since last fall, Villanova has been at the top of the expansion candidate list even though the vote has been tabled in April. Since the Big East meetings Army and Navy have been mentioned as Football only candidates. My question is why Army and Navy when they have turned down the Big East more than once since 2003. And in fact Army's Athletic Director said thanks but no thanks today. I'm pretty sure that Navy will say the same within the next few days to weeks.

So if Army and Navy says no, and Villanova still doesn't have its stadium situation fixed, what exactly is next?

I have to look right exactly in the Philadelphia and assume that Temple-yes Temple- will become the leader of the pack. I know most Big East fans don't want them back, and neither do I. But the fact of the matter is that the Big East just wants this Philly media market. On top of that the Big East has been rumored that it will be negotiating with Comcast/NBC-whom is located in Philly- for its new TV Contract.

And honestly, I think the Big East stops at 10 when Villanova or Temple joins the league and simply wait for a school like ECU, UCF, or Memphis separates itself from the pack. Another school that could be mentioned as a candidate 5-10 years from now is UMass. The problem with UMass is that they could be another Buffalo and not do that well or they could be like UConn or USF and rise to AQ Conference status in no time.

At the end of the day, I'm thinking that ECU, UMass, and Villanova or Temple will be in the Big East by the end of the decade in a 12/17 hybrid format. I just don't get the feeling that we're going to see anymore All Sports Invites unless BYU really is on the table.

I'm not number cruncher, but I don't want people to their hopes up. Saw some possibilities of 20+M from Comcast/NBC per team. I don't know if that's legit or not. I'm just going to wait ad see.

No comments:

Post a Comment